Messageboard.NoTubes.com

NoTubes Messageboard

How Much Sealant for a 29er?

Sealant, Tires, Rim Strips, Tech, Questions and Tips

Moderators: NoTubesBob, NoTubes_Mike, NoTubes_Pete

How Much Sealant for a 29er?

Postby Lumberjack » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:36 pm

I'm new to Stan's product and just sealed up my first set of tires - Geax 2.2's on a ZTR Arch 29er. I used 2 oz. of sealant per wheel, but am wondering if I should have used more since it's a 29er. It seems to have sealed well, but i haven't taken it for a ride yet.

I'm not sure how this product works - if it needs extra leftover in the wheel to slosh around and perform the sealing when a puncture happens, or if you're just supposed to form a dry coating around the entire inner surface of the wheel/rim and the dried product actually has the sealing properties. If anybody knows the answer to this too, that would be great since it's related to my question above.
Lumberjack

Re: How Much Sealant for a 29er?

Postby NoTubesBob » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:22 am

We recommend 2ounces of sealant for all bicycle tires. The puddle of sealant is necessary for the sealant to work properly. If you shake the tire and can not feel the sealant slosh inside the tire it is time to add more sealant.
NoTubesBob

Postby Lumberjack » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:31 am

Thanks Bob...I totally "get it" now. I think my 29er setup needed more than 2 oz per wheel because I did not hear the sealant sloshing after using just 2 oz. I ended up adding another oz per wheel and now definately hear the sloshing. Maybe my tires were thirsty!
Lumberjack

Postby Jet9Rider » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:56 pm

I have about 2 cups in a 29 " Nevegal sitting on a C29ssmax. The Nevegals seems to have a "fabric" cover over the bead. It keeps bubbling along the bead/rim interface all around. Is this normal?
Jet9Rider

Postby NoTubesBob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:21 am

Nevegals can be a challenge to seal because of the bead material. Rub your finger in the sealant and rub it directly into this bead. This will help sealing the bead.
NoTubesBob

Postby Jet9Rider » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:32 am

I am on my 3rd cup of Stan's. The tire still goes flat, and the entire bead is "sizzling" Stan's. Seems to be going from 50 PSI to flat in about 4 - 6 hours. On Day 3 of the tubeless conversion. When is it time to get a different tire or put a tube in it?
Jet9Rider

Postby Jet9Rider » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:19 pm

never mind. I spoke with the rep and I need to get a rim strip. Thanks.
Jet9Rider

Return to General Support